New Year. New You.
The new year always brings on new challenges: physical, mental, spiritual. It also brings hope. Hope for a new beginning, a fresh start and new habits.
On top of everyone's list of new years resolutions; Get into Shape. Whether it's losing those extra 10 pounds, finally getting back into the gym, or using the gym for self care, we want to help you tackle your new years goals. We also want to avoid the "March Fallout". You know what we're talking about. The March Fallout happens when you are super excited to tackle your goals in January, but life catches up to you. And by March you don't even remember what the gym looks like. So lets avoid that fallout and start slow and steady and prepare ourselves for success. Here are 5 ways to ease yourself into fitness in the New Year so that YOU can be successful
5 Ways To Ease Into Fitness In The New Year
1. Drink More Water. About 2/3 of your body is made up of water. By drinking more water throughout the day you give your body the hydration it needs. BONUS you'll also notice the great effects it has on your body (reduced inflammation, better feeling skin, better mental alertness, etc.). You can easily track your water with apps like My Fitness Pal or My Water & Drink Reminder.
2. Take a 10 Minute Walk After Each Meal. The simplest, positive change you can make to effectively improve your heart health is to start walking. It's enjoyable, free, easy, social and great exercise. Better yet, why not attach it to a habit that you already do? Studies show that when you attach one good habit to a habit that already occurs, your success rate of that new habit increases dramatically. Walking after each meal increases digestion, and doesn't put a huge dent into your daily schedule at only 10 minutes per walk. And at the end of the day, you will have walked 30 minutes even if you can't make it to the gym!
3. Try a group fitness class at the Y! We offer classes for all levels! Try a beginner zumba class, or a cardio hip hop class or cycling. These are just a few options, figure out what you enjoy and get moving! You don't have to come to every class everyday, just try a couple and see what you like!
4. Reduce Your Processed Foods. Processed foods are one of the biggest stumbling blocks to a healthy lifestyle. It's easy to see why: they're cheap, they're accessible, and they taste really good. Processed foods are also designed to make you eat more, crave more processed foods, and ultimately, gain a little weight. Take whatever you eat in processed foods and just try and cut out one of those meals a week. Instead of eating out, stay in and have a home cooked meal. You won't regret it.
5. Do One Fun, Active Activity A Week Your health begins with you. And what better way to be healthy than by doing something you love? Have you ever heard the saying, "if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life." That saying may have some truth to it! Try going for a hike, throwing frisbee, or going to a trampoline park for an hour (Now that's a workout!). If your having fun and moving, chances are you'll want to keep on moving!
Try one or all of these things this new year, and lets become, A Better Us.