The holidays are a time of celebration and feasts. From November through the new year there are so many recipes that flow through our homes whether it is baked goods, delicious meats, or those oh so good casseroles. Let's face it, we know how to celebrate. But all of these delicious meals can catch up to us if we're not careful. So what better way to detox from the holidays than to try some new recipes. Here are some of our favorites.
Peanut Butter Chocolate & Banana Smoothie
Photo Courtesy of LMLD
- 1 Cup Ice
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Banana
- 2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
- 1 Scoop of Chocolate Protein Powder
- Put all the ingredients into a blender (preferably ice on the bottom), use the frozen drink setting on your blender and BAM, a filling breakfast smoothie for you to enjoy.
Recipe & Photo Courtesy of CookingLight
- 1/2 Small Avocado
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fresh lemon Juice
- 1/8 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 (1 oz.) Sliced Whole Grain Bread Toasted
- 1/2 Teaspoon Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Toppings (Optional): Maldon Sea Salt Flakes, Red Pepper Flakes
- In a small bowl, combine avocado, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Gently mash with the back of a fork.
- Top toasted bread with mashed avocado mixture. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle over desired toppings.
Vegetable Soup With Hamburger
Recipe & Photo Courtesy of Taste of Home
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Beef (90% lean)
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 4 Cups V8 Juice
- 1 Can (14-1/2 ounces) Stewed Tomatoes
- 2 Cups Coleslaw Mix
- 2 Cups Frozen Green Beans
- 2 Cups Frozen Corn
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir in beef mixture. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until the vegetables are tender
White Bean and Tuna Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
Recipe & Photo Courtesy of Good Housekeeping
- Kosher Salt and Pepper
- 12 oz. Green Beans Trimmed & Halved
- 1 Small Shallot Chopped
- 1 Cup Lightly Packed Basil Leaves
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 4 Cups Torn Lettuce
- 1 15 oz. Can Small White Beans Rinsed
- 2 5 oz. Cans Solid White Tuna Drained
- 4 Soft Boiled Eggs Halved
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt, then green beans, and cook until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, puree shallot, basil, oil, vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper until smooth.
- Transfer half of dressing to large bowl and toss with green beans. Fold in lettuce, white beans, and tuna and serve with remaining dressing and eggs.
Lemon Garlic Butter Chicken
Recipe & Photo Courtesy of Eat Well 101
- 3 – 6 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Thighs
- 1 pound (450g) Green Beans, trimmed
- 3 Tablespoons Butter, Divided or (ghee for paleo diet)
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt and Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon + Lemon Slices, For Garnish
- 1/2 Cup (125ml) Chicken Stock
- 1 Tablespoon Hot Sauce (We Used Sriracha)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Crushed Red Chili Pepper Flakes, Optional
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Chopped Parsley
- To make the lemon garlic butter chicken recipe with green beans: In a small bowl, combine onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Season chicken thighs generously with the spice mixture. Set aside while you prepare green beans.
- Arrange green beans in a microwave-safe dish with 1/2 cup (125ml) water. Cook in the microwave for 8-10 minutes, until almost done but still crisp.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Lay the seasoned chicken thighs in one layer in the skillet. Cook for 5-6 minutes then flip and cook another 5-6 minutes, until cooked through and a cooking thermometer displays 165°F (75°C). If chicken browns too quickly, lower the heat. Adjust timing depending on the thickness. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, lower the heat and melt the remaining tablespoon butter. Add chopped parsley, garlic, hot sauce, red crushed chili pepper flakes, and pre-cooked green beans and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until cooked to your liking. Add lemon juice and chicken stock and reduce the sauce for a couple of minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Add cooked chicken thighs back to the pan and reheat quickly. Adjust seasoning with pepper and serve the lemon garlic butter chicken thighs immediately, garnished with more crushed chili pepper, fresh parsley, and a slice of lemon if you like. Enjoy!
Stuffed Tomatoes with Chicken Quinoa
Recipe & Photo Courtesy of Eat Well 101
- 6 tomatoes, tops cut and seeded
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 7 ounces (200g) chicken breast or tights, minced
- 1 stalk celery, finely minced (or a small bunch of parsley)
- 1 yellow onion, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 360°F (180°C). Prepare a baking dish.
- Meanwhile stir fry chicken, celery, fennel seeds and onion in a skillet with few drops of vegetable oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, chicken, fennel seeds, onion and chili powder, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spoon the quinoa filling into each tomato cavity. Place on the prepared baking dish, cover with the tops, and bake until the tomatoes are tender and the quinoa filling is heated through, about 25-30 minutes. Serve immediately.